The Village begins plowing streets when snow is more than one inch deep and when freezing temperatures indicate there will be no melting. Many state roads in and around the Village are cleared by the respective agency. The Village plows and salts some roads in this category, including Milwaukee Avenue from Adler Drive to Hollister Drive, and Park Avenue from Butterfield Road to the Des Plaines River. Streets with high traffic volume, emergency routes, and bus routes on school days receive priority for plowing over residential, non-primary routes that typically do not have heavy traffic volume.
There are several ways you can help keep the Village safe during the winter:
- Clear your sidewalk. This is especially helpful for children trying to get to school safely. Do not stack the snow at corners of intersections.
- Assist senior citizens who live nearly by shoveling their sidewalks.
- When clearing your driveway, or blow the snow onto the parkway to the right side of your driveway as you face the street to reduce plow truck windrows.
- Park vehicles off the street. On-street parking is prohibited between 10 pm and 6 am during snow events.
- Watch for snow & ice removal vehicles. Be alert and vigilant of Village snow plows while driving or shoveling your sidewalk or driveway.
- Stay a minimum of 50 feet away from all snow and ice removal vehicles and machinery.
- Ensure your mailbox is 12 inches from the curb and the post is secure.
- Adopt a fire hydrant and keep it clear of snow. It's there to protect you.