Departments Documents & Forms

Watershed Development Permit

A Watershed Development Permit is required for any work regulated by the Lake County Watershed Development Ordinance (WDO). The Village of Libertyville has adopted the WDO and is certified to enforce the WDO provisions within the Village’s corporate limits.

Watershed Development Permit Application (Fillable PDF)  

Common examples of work requiring a Watershed Development Permit:

  • New residential or commercial construction
  • Disturbance of 5,000 square feet or more on any property
  • Work in a floodplain or wetland
  • New (post-1992) impervious surface exceeding WDO thresholds.

Note: Please refer to Article 3 of the WDO for more information on regulated development, or contact the Engineering Division office at (847) 918-2100.

Engineering Permit

An Engineering Permit is required for any other site work involving grading and drainage, changes to impervious surface area, underground utilities (water, sanitary sewer, storm sewer), and for any work in the public right-of-way. An Engineering Permit Application is also required in conjunction with any Watershed Development Permit.

Engineering Permit Application (PDF)
Engineering Permit Conditions (PDF)                   

Common examples of work requiring an Engineering Permit:

  • New construction or building addition
  • New (post-2015) impervious surface regulated by Appendix Psuch as additions, sheds, patios, decks, walks, driveway expansion, etc.
  • Grading & drainage, including yard drains, placement of fill, berms, swales, other re-grading, retaining walls, etc. 
  • Downspout extensions
  • New or modified storm sump discharge 
  • Demolition and the abandonment of water and sewer services
  • Water service upgrades (e.g. for renovations or additions)
  • Repair or replacement of an existing water, storm, or sanitary sewer service
  • Driveway approach replacement, modification, or removal
  • Driveway improvements to remove the “bump” at the existing curb
  • Installation of irrigation systems in the public right-of-way
  • Planting of any trees within the parkway areas of a Village street

Note: An Engineering Permit is not required for the installation of a standard mailbox.

Application Requirements

  • Completed and signed “Application for Engineering Permit”
  • A full-size (correctly scaled) copy of the most recent Plat of Survey available
  • Engineering Plans, when staff determines they are required by the WDO or Appendix P
  • Where engineering plans are not required, provide a site plan or sketch of the proposed improvements – Often, it is preferred that the sketch be done on a copy of the Plat of Survey.
  • When any work will take place in the public right-of-way (ROW), provide at least two (2) photos of the area to be affected (within the ROW) must be provided. Photos can be emailed to
  • Contractor’s certificate of insurance; detailed requirements can be found in the “Engineering Permit Conditions.”
  • Letter of waiver must be signed by the property owner whenever there will be or has been installation of non-standard improvements within the right-of-way (e.g. brick or concrete pavers, lawn sprinkler lines, etc.)
  • See “Engineering Permit Conditions” for conditions on the permit and further information on submittal requirements.
  • Application must be made for Building Permit and/or Zoning Compliance Certificate as necessary. When applicable, the Engineering permit typically cannot be issued unless these have also been approved for issuance.

Letter of Waiver

This letter must be signed by the property owner for any non-standard installations within the public right-of-way. Please see “Engineering Permit Conditions” item 14 for more information.  Letter of Waiver (PDF)   

Removal of Trees

Removal of trees on Village property is prohibited, and a request must be submitted to Building Division or Engineering Division for removal of any trees on private property. Permit requirements for tree removal are regulated by the Tree Preservation Ordinance

Additional Information

Sewer Back-Ups: What to Do and How to Prevent

J.U.L.I.E. Always Call Before You Dig Press Release

Environmental Protection Agency Cross Connection Manual: Information provided on the EPA website about importance of cross connection control devices.

Illinois State Plumbing Code: Subpart I: Water Supply Distribution Illinois State Plumbing Code; Section 890 1110-1240 pertaining to cross connection

National Secondary Drinking Water Regulations: Drinking water standards are regulations that EPA sets to control the level of contaminants in the nation's drinking water. These standards are part of the Safe Drinking Water Act's "multiple barrier" approach to drinking water protection, which includes assessing and protecting drinking water sources; protecting wells and collection systems; making sure water is treated by qualified operators; ensuring the integrity of distribution systems; and making information available to the public on the quality of their drinking water. With the involvement of EPA, states, tribes, drinking water utilities, communities and citizens, these multiple barriers ensure that tap water in the United States and territories is safe to drink.

Fats, Oils and Grease (FOG) Ordinance:  The Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA) oversees and enforces regulations when a sanitary sewer overflow occurs. Fats, Oils and Grease are a major contributor of sanitary sewer overflows when they build up in the sanitary sewer. A sanitary sewer overflow is defined as the discharge of untreated sewage from the sanitary sewer collection system to a surface water and/or ground.